Missouri Society of
New Ways to Solve Old Problems
October 14-16, 2021
Margaritaville Lake Resort
Osage Beach, Missouri
Conference Registration Information
Date and Location
Jim Anderson, PLS
Tom Bryant, PLS
Kevin Closson, ACI, CTT
Kristopher M. Kline
Dick Elgin, PS,
Troy Hayes, PLS
Ron Heimbaugh, PLS
Jim Mathis, PLS
Darrell Pratte, PLS
David J. Sherrill, PLS
Bob Shotts, PLS
Dan Govero, Earl Graham, Joe Clayton and Sandy Boeckman
Select the button to download a copy of the conference agenda.
Registration fee is $330 for Members and $550 for Non-Members. The deadline for registrations is September 30, 2021. After this date, a 10% processing fee will be added to all registration fees. The fee includes instructional materials, refreshment breaks, a luncheon each day(3), a cocktail reception and three breakfasts. To register, complete the registration online or fill out the paper form and mail with payment to MSPS, 722 E. Capitol Avenue, Jefferson City, MO 65101.
Location and Lodging
Margaritaville Lake Resort, Osage Beach, MO, is the site for the 2021 Annual Meeting of the MSPS. A special room rate of $111.00 (single or double rooms) has been extended until September 15, 2021. Reservations can be made by calling 800-826-8272. Parking is complimentary for all guests and attendees. Ask for the conference special rate and identify yourself with MSPS when making reservations..
The Golf Tournament benefiting the MSPS PAC Fund will be held, Thursday, October 14, at The Oaks Golf Course. You may pick a partner or a foursome. If you do not have a partner, one will be provided to you. The format is a four-person scramble with a shotgun start. The cost is $85 per person and includes 18 holes, a cart and two mulligans.
The Oaks Golf Course
494 Tan Tar A Drive
Osage Beach, MO 65065
Spouse Hospitality Room
A hospitality room will be provided on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8 am to 5 pm. Please see the registration desk for hospitality room location. A map of Lake of the Ozarks will be available at the registration desk.
This course has been approved for 21.5 Professional Development Units (PDUs) by the Missouri Board of Architects, Professional Engineers, Professional Land Surveyors and Professional Landscape Architects (2.0 hours of Standards).
PDU breakdown on days
is as follows:
Thursday – 8.0 PDUs
Friday – 5.5 PDUs
Saturday – 8.0 PDUs
MSPS reserves the right to cancel the program and return all fees in the event of insufficient registration. A participant may cancel a registration at any time, but a $25 processing fee will be applied to all refunds.
NO REFUNDS WILL BE ALLOWED AFTER September 30, 2021.
- Jim Anderson, PLS, Anderson Survey Company, MSPS President 1986
- Tom Bryant, PLS, is a professional land surveyor with more than 30+ years of experience. He graduated from SoutheastMissouri State University with a Bachelor of General Studies degree, studied at the University of Missouri-Rolla under Dr. Richard Elgin, and graduated from the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, where he studied under Dr. David Knowles, with an Associate’s degree in Surveying. Tom is also an Adjunct Instructor at St. Louis University and Washington University in St. Louis.
- Kevin Closson, ACI, CTT, is a Technical Specialist Manager, Speaker and Consultant for the Topcon Solutions Store,NW. There, Kevin pulls from over 20 years of experience (e.g. field and certified instruction) as he proudly specializes in the technical development of countless individuals, private firms and government agencies. Combining Autodesk’s highest level of certifications with his unique teaching style, Kevin has become the Northwest’s most sought out Autodesk instructor in the implementation of Civil 3D, Template customization and workflow assessment. In addition, he has lent his expertise to innumerable speaking engagements that include local user groups, state conferences and Autodesk University.
- Matt Davis has over 18 years of experience in the Civil Engineering industry. Matt graduated with a Masters in Adult Educationalong with a B.S. in Drafting Technology from Central Missouri State University. Matt is also a FAA Certified sUAS Pilot.
- Scott Howe was a surveyor in the United States Marine Corps for 20 years. Scott is a Trimble Certified Trainer and a MilitaryMaster Instructor. Scott has a B.S. in Engineer Administration and Management from Park University. Scott has been with the Seiler Team for 5 years and works out of our Kansas City office.
- Kristopher M. Kline, President of 2Point, Inc., has a four-year Bachelor of Science degree (class of ’84) in General Science fromBridgewater College located in Bridgewater, Va. He has been involved in the surveying profession since graduation. Kris became licensed in North Carolina in1991 (P.L.S. L – 3374). He is a 1999 graduate of the North Carolina Society of Surveyors (N.C.S.S.) Institute. Kris served for 3 years as Chairman of the N.C.S.S. Education Committee. In 2003, Kris began offering continuing education courses in North Carolina on legal aspects of retracement. Since 2010, his teaching career has expanded to include conferences and seminars nationwide. Kris has presented several keynote addresses for state conventions. In 2020, Kris and his Wife, Robyn, took over administration of Surveyors Educational Seminars, a continuing education program originally developed by Dr. Ben Buckner and later operated by Don and Christine Wilson. In 2011, he began publishing the column “Unmistakable Marks” in Point of Beginning magazine, a national trade journal for surveying professionals. For 10 years, Kris submitted bi-monthly articles for the magazine, and he published more than 60 articles through 2020. These articles are intended for a national audience and generally focus on various legal aspects of boundary retracement. In August 2013, Kris published his first book, “Rooted in Stone: the Development of Adverse Possession in 20 Eastern States and the District of Columbia.” This text considers adverse possession and prescriptive easements from their early origins to the present day. Separate chapters are dedicated to variations between jurisdictions in the eastern United States. His second book, “Riparian Boundaries and Rights of Navigation,” includes extensive discussion of the many definitions of the term “navigable.” This short volume was completed in 2015 and focuses on property rights along smaller rivers, streams, lakes and estuaries. It considers the inevitable confusion that results when modern definitions are applied to early grants and the effects of subsequent legislation on riparian rights. Kris’ third book was released in December 2016. “How to Fix a Boundary Line” chronicles variations in the legal mechanisms related to unwritten property rights across the United States. Topics include acquiescence, part performance of oral contracts, adverse possession, estoppel and the doctrine of merger. His latest (2019) release, “Prescriptive Easements & Related Principles” focuses primarily on elements of prescriptive easement law and the effects of adverse use on existing easements. Private vs. public prescriptive ways, statutory vs. common law requirements, and standards for abandonment are included.
- Dick Elgin, PS, Archer-Elgin Surveying LLC, MSPS President 1983
- Troy Hayes, PLS, Midland Surveying Inc., MSPS President 1999
- Ron Heimbaugh, PLS, is the Missouri State Land Surveyor and the Director of the Department of Agriculture’s Land SurveyProgram. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Technology from the College of the Ozarks in 1990 and later completed surveying coursework at the University of Missouri – Rolla (Now known as Missouri University of Science and Technology). He has nearly 30 years of surveying experience between the private sector and state government. Ron began his surveying career in 1990 and was employed with Rolla area civil engineering and land surveying firms for 17 years. During this time he was involved in every facet of the surveying profession. In 2008, he accepted a position as a project surveyor with the Land Survey Program. Then, in 2013, he became the Field Surveys Section Chief and was promoted to State Land Surveyor and Director of the Land Survey Program in 2017. Ron is currently a member of the Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Board of Directors, the Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Standards Committee, and the Rolla Technical Institute Advisory Board.
- Jim Mathis, PLS, Mathis & Associates, MSPS President 2016
- Darrell Pratte, PLS, Missouri Department of Agriculture-Land Survey Program, MSPS President 2009
- Mark Schnesk has thirty years of experience as a civil engineering technician along with experience in surveying and geospatialanalysis. Mark graduated from Michigan Technological University. Mark is an Autodesk Certified Instructor, AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional, AutoCAD Certified Professional, and a FAA Certified sUAS Pilot.
- David J. Sherrill, PLS, is a full time instructor at SIUE within the construction management and Civil Engineering departments,and is the coordinator for Land Surveying Program. He has over 50 years of both private and public land surveying and engineering experience. He is licensed as a Professional Land Surveyor in Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Arkansas, Kentucky and Nebraska. He is a pilot with ratings in single, twin and rotocraft aircraft. He graduated from Morrison Institute of Technology with a Bachelor degree and continued his post graduate work at Iowa State and University of Illinois. He is a past licensing Board Chair and member with the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, Past President of the Illinois Professional Land Surveyors Association, and member of multiple committees within state Land Surveying and National Associations. He has authored numerous articles and has been awarded several distinguished Service awards within the land surveying profession.
- Bob Shotts, PLS, Robert S. Shotts Inc., MSPS President 2004
- Pat Stack has over twenty five years’ experience with 3D scanning, Civil and Surveying sales and support for Seiler InstrumentCompany. Pat has attended and successfully completed several Trimble 3D Laser training seminars at Trimble Navigation headquartered in Westminster Colorado. Additionally, Pat Stack has presented at several regional Land Survey Conferences across the Midwest.
- Jason Taylor is also a terrestrial scanning expert and geospatial sales professional based in our Kansas City Office. He has over 18years of surveying and LiDAR experience. He works closely with clients in many industries, helping them use 3D laser scanning to increase productivity. Jason is a graduate of NW Missouri State University and Missouri Western State University.
- Jan Van Sickle, PhD, has many years experience advising global companies (Anadarko, IHS Energy, Microsoft, Jeppesen, DigitalGlobe, and many more) in geospatial matters. He has created and led departments, managed creation of new programs, and developed systems used around the globe. He earned his PhD in geospatial engineering from the University of Colorado and is a Senior Lecturer at Penn State University.